Beyond the Big Smoke is a Tobacco Control project that exists as a partnership between AHCWA and KAMSC (Kimberley Aborginal Medical Services Council). The project is jointly funded by Healthway and the Australian Respiratory Council.
The project aims to implement a range of strategies designed to have a positive impact on smoking behaviour amongst staff and user populations of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) including:
- Collaboration between ACCHSs and other organisations to improve capacity to respond to tobacco control issues in Aboriginal populations.
- Identification of smoking behaviour amongst staff and user populations of ACCHS.
- Promotion of tobacco control through increased use of brief interventions and enhanced awareness of smoking impacts amongst the ACCHSs populations.
- Encouraging ACCHSs to actively support and promote tobacco control policies and strategies.
- Consolidation and co-ordination of recent tobacco control initiatives targeting Aboriginal populations
Beyond the Big Smoke Links:
Background & History